Blog Hop: 12 Days of Christmas
Event Date: December 1st - 12th 2013
My Favorite Christmas Cookie: Italian Ribbon Cookies
Every Christmas my mom and my aunts make these cookies. They are not for the faint-hearted as they take quite a bit to make. My mom often made part of the cookies one day, then would finish making them the next. One day I will try and make these delicious cookies..but for now I'll settle for sneaking them off the counter while she is still making them. 😉
Yields: 7 dozen cookies (but trust me they'll go fast).
7 ounces marzipan paste or 7 ounces almond paste
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (, sift before measuring)
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 drops green food coloring (or to desired color)
5 drops red food coloring (or to desired color)
1 (12 ounce) jar raspberry jam (preferably seedless)
12 ounces Baker's German sweet chocolate or 1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease three (13" x 9") metal baking pans.
2. Line bottom of each with wax paper — letting it extend at two opposite ends — and grease paper.
3. Break marzipan paste into small pieces and grind with sugar in food processor until no lumps remain.
4. Transfer to a large bowl and add butter.
5. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, then add yolks and almond extract and beat well.
6. Beat in flour and salt on low speed.
7. Beat egg whites in another bowl with cleaned beaters until they just hold stiff peaks and stir one third into batter to lighten slightly (batter will still be stiff).
8. Fold in remaining whites thoroughly.
9. Cook's note: Do not make this dough ahead of time.
10. Divide dough into thirds (about 1 1/2 cups each).
11. Stir green food coloring into one third and red food coloring into another, leaving one third plain.
12. Spread each dough separately into a pan.
13. (Layers will be thin.) Bake layers in batches in middle of oven until just set and beginning to turn golden along edges, 7 to 10 minutes total.
14. Run knife along edges to loosen from pan, then while still hot, invert a large rack over pan and invert layer onto rack, pulling gently on wax paper overhangs to release if necessary.
15. Peel off wax paper and cool completely.
16.Line a large shallow baking pan with wax paper and slide green layer into it.
17. Spread half of jam evenly over green layer and carefully top with plain layer.
18. Spread remaining jam evenly over uncolored layer and carefully top with pink layer (trim edges if necessary).
19. Cover with plastic wrap and weigh down with a large cutting board or baking pan.
20.Chill at least three hours.
21. Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water.
22. Remove weight and plastic wrap and spread chocolate evenly over top, but not sides, of pink layer.
23.Let stand at room temperature until set, about 1 hour, and cut into small diamonds or rectangles (12 rows crosswise and 12 diagonal rows).
Grand Prize: $150 Amazon Gift Card or Paypal Cash
First Prize: One (1) eBook from Every Participating Author
For more Favorite Christmas Cookie Recipes & Giveaways - Hop along the 12 Days of Christmas Blog Hop!