While I never really feel like I actually have writer's block lately, I do see this certain pattern in my writing habits. Right now I am currently in the stage I like to call the story hangover. It's similar to the reader's version. You finish a great story or series and are like...well now what?
I sent off my edits to my editor (round 1 with her and Brody's story is done and she is currently tackling Possess) and so I am now here waiting and antsy. I miss my characters and feel like something is missing from me. I'm doing my best to move on for the time being, working on book 3 of The Possess Saga (which brings some of the characters back...but still) The problem with book 3 right now?
I've reached the middle of the story at the same time I got my story hangover from handing off Possess and Brody. Add to it all the plot bunnies that have been accosting me with ideas for the stories that follow AFTER the one I need to work on and its a trifecta of unfocused-ness.
I can't really complain too much however, seeing as I still have Deliver to revise (which I have not touched!) , and to keep myself writing I have allowed myself a little bit of freedom to work on future stories/series that won't come until after book 3 (and later), so at the end of the day I am still writing. I just wanted to get through this one, but I've realized I am just in another cycle of my writing phase. I've come to realize that as I work through yet another novel, I am very much a creature of habit.
Basically this is the pattern I see:
- Moment of creation (ABSOLUTE NEW SHINY BLISS! THIS STORY IS GOING TO BE AMAZING!
- plodding through the first half -STILL AWESOME!
- middle (DAMMIT WTF THIS SUCKS!?)
- Stuck (yeah... I have no idea what is going on here... I'm going to turn on Netflix now kthanxbai!)
- This is generally when plot bunnies attack (basically your brain becomes a jerk and tells you things like "I know you are trying to finish this book but way til you hear about this 10 part series I just thought of")
- Second Wind (OMG THIS STORY IS THE BESTEST STORY EVAR!)
- The big finish (OMG I AM AWESOME! I MADE THIS WITH MY MIND! BOW TO ME!)
- Draft avoidance (crap... was I drunk when I wrote this? I'll fix it later...netflix!)
- First round of revisions (crap...this sucks!)
- Second (Hmmm this is better...oh and let me add in a little dash of AWESOME, BITCHES!)
- Sent to Betas (oh crap...)
- Get back from betas, read feedback (well... I guess it wasn't that awesome)
- Swallow sadness and revise.
- Send to editor (oh crap...)
- Story Hangover (Well i was going to work on the next in the series but somehow I finished a whole season of on netflix...meh)
- edits come back (whoohoo lets clean this bad boy up and make it... you guessed it- AWESOME!)
- Put it out into the world (OH CRAP...)
Wash, rinse, repeat
So yes, I'm a little stuck on book 3, but have no fear. I will get it wrangled and moving in the right direction soon. In the meantime I have caught up a little on my reading list (and on netflix hehe). I will be posting a review this weekend of one book as well as having a good friend guest blog.
What if any patterns do you see in your own reading/writing habits?